The laboratory is equipped with the latest MTS Bionix testing system in an axial/torsional configuration. Load data is captured through the systems load cell and sent in real time to the MTS TestSuite™ software for analysis. This servohydraulic test system is capable of producing ±25 kN axially and ±250 N·m in torsion, with a total rotation of 270°.
MTS testing modalities in the laboratory include:
- Biomaterial yield strength
- Fatigue characteristics of orthopedic implants
- Wear characteristics of medical implants
- Fracture mechanics
- Kinematic studies of the spine, hip, and knee
- Biaxial failure testing of spinal instrumentation